Stylish and contemporary furniture doesn’t come cheap – even at large companies known for selling affordable items, the trendier, more unique pieces come with a high price tag. But here at Empatika we have a passion for contemporary furniture, and even though it can be a big investment we think it’s a fair price to pay for a staple which could live in your home for as long as you do.
Well made, solid furniture is worth every penny as it is practical and functional, but also offers an aesthetic advantage too. Modern furniture is a great way to show off your style and personality, and unlike clothing you can use it every single day in your home. It becomes part of your daily lifestyle – a part of your family’s life. With this in mind, shouldn’t you opt for a luxury piece of furniture, built to stand the test of time, rather than attempting to build something yourself? Take a look at the statistics below to see the endless ways a DIY project could go wrong!
Research from the AA Home Membership reveals that 74% of men and women have had a DIY calamity or mishap at some point. That includes self-injury (hitting finger with a hammer or falling off a ladder) to full disasters such as drilling a hole in the wrong place. Surprisingly, men are more likely than women to experience a DIY misadventure! With almost three quarters of self-proclaimed handymen and women admitting to these DIY blunders, we recommend you keep the skilled jobs to the experts!
Making high quality furniture is a skilled craft – it takes a lot of woodwork experience and expensive equipment to get it right first time. It may look easy and if you have some spare wood panels lying around it can be tempting to have a go at putting something together. But can you be sure how stable it will be once finished? Would you be 100% confident putting your most prized possessions on a homemade shelving cabinet, or letting your child sit on a DIY chair? Here are just a few reasons why you should showcase your DIY talents elsewhere…
1. Most people find flat-pack furniture impossible, never mind starting from scratch yourself! Search the hashtag #ikeafail on Instagram for some of the funniest flat-pack catastrophes.
2. Hinges on wardrobe and cupboard doors are difficult to fit evenly and securely, so your furniture could end up with wonky doors or they could fall off completely
3. Draws may not be straight or run smoothly
4. A shelving unit may not be strong enough to withstand weight
5. It could collapse at any time, causing injury to you or your family and/or damage to possessions and your home
6. If anything does go wrong with your DIY furniture there is nobody to contact who can help you – no one to blame but yourself! There is no compensation for any damage done to you or your home, and all the time and effort you put into the project is wasted. If you choose a reliable company to build your furniture, you will get a guarantee for years in case anything goes wrong with your custom furniture
We understand why people attempt to build their own furniture. Perhaps there is nothing on the market which suits your style or the décor of your home, or maybe you have alcoves and uniquely shaped rooms which mass manufactured furniture simply doesn’t accommodate for. In this case, you can trust a fitted furniture company to design bespoke creations for you. Skilled carpenters and furniture designers can visit your home and build furniture to your specifications. From fitted wardrobes, media units and bookshelves to a full home office, anything is possible when you commission custom furniture.
Designing and installing built-in furniture is obviously a huge investment, but it is a worthwhile one. If you choose a trusted company they will use the highest quality materials which will be robust and secure, ensuring the safety of your belongings and your family. They are built to last forever, so you shouldn’t have to worry about paying for repairs or maintenance, or replacing the furniture at any point. Of course, with DIY furniture it’s a bit of a gamble and you never know when a table or shelf may need replacing!
Take a look at our galleries to see the extent of work Empatika can do, and get in touch for a free consultation and quote.